The University of Georgia’s top undergraduate research scholarship is available through the Morehead Honors College and the Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities.
The CURO Honors Scholarship provides $3,000 in funding a year, renewable for up to four years. All incoming first-year UGA students interested in research in any field may apply. We are seeking to attract students from a variety of academic fields of study, particularly students who anticipate working in underrepresented research disciplines. Students from groups underrepresented in research are encouraged to apply—this includes students from ethnic and racial minorities, students from rural areas, and first-generation students. Prior research experience is not required, but recipients will be expected to engage in research activities during their course of study to remain in good standing for scholarship renewal.
Scholars form a community committed to growing academically and individually. If you show great potential and motivation in your research interests, we can’t wait to see your application!
Application deadline: January 15
As a CURO Honors Scholar, you would:
- Receive $3,000 in funding each year
- Enjoy mentoring and community support
- Be a student in the Morehead Honors College
- Attend special seminars, workshops, events, and activities
- Pursue a research agenda as soon as your first semester at UGA
- Conduct research in any discipline at UGA, including (but not limited to) physical, biological, and social sciences; business; international affairs; engineering; humanities; and the fine and performing arts
- Be assisted by staff in the Morehead Honors College, which administers the scholarship
Applying for the CURO Honors Scholarship
- Students must first submit a First-Year Admission application to the University of Georgia in order to be considered for the CURO Honors Scholarship application.
- After you receive the “Next Steps” email from UGA and establish your permanent password to your application status page, click the “Apply Now” button below to begin the UGA application. Once you have started the UGA application, you will be able to begin working on your CURO Honors Scholarship application from your application status page.
- The deadline to submit an application is January 15. No further applications will be accepted beyond this date.
- The CURO Honors Scholarship is only available to graduating high school seniors who intend to become first-year students at the University of Georgia. It is not available to current UGA undergraduates or transfer students.
The selection process considers academic achievement, motivation to make research central to your undergraduate career, and demonstrated work ethic. Previous research experience is not necessary but is desirable.
Approximately 20 CURO Promising Scholars will be chosen from the applicants and invited to interview. CURO Honors Scholarship recipients will be selected from those Promising Scholars.
CURO Honors Scholars have received major scholarships such as the Churchill Scholarship, Schwarzman Scholarship, Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, the Merage American Dream Fellowship, and the Udall Scholarship. They have also gone on to prestigious professional and graduate programs nationally and internationally.